Pocket Casts features episode filters to help you organize episodes.
Creating filters is a two step process.
Step 1 is adding the filter name and selecting the color for the filter & icon, and the icon to display next to the filter name (these are visual selections only). Tap > CREATE FILTER.
Step 2 is customising the filter. At the top of the screen you’ll see a selection of filter option chips.
The filter options are:
- Podcasts (default is “all” but you can select just the podcasts you want)
- Episodes (default is “all” but you can change to “unplayed” and/or “In progress” and/or “Played”)
- Release date (default is “any time” but you can choose either: last 24 hrs, last 3 days, last week, last 2 weeks or last month)
- Download status (default is “all” but you can choose either: “Downloaded” or “Not downloaded”)
- Media type (default is “all” but you can choose either; “Audio” or “Video”)
- Starred (default is not starred, tapping will choose “Starred”)
NOTE: only episodes associated with a podcast to which you are subscribed can be included. We don’t currently support filters at an episode level.
After you choose each option tap > Show Results.
Once you’ve customised your filter, you can choose to:
- Play all
- Download all
- Edit the Filter settings, including setting auto download options, or to
- Delete filter
Just tap the vertical ellipsis ⋮ to access.
If you don’t want to download all episodes, tap Filter settings and toggle Auto Download on (default is off). This will default to First 10 episodes but you can tap to change the selection to first 5, 20, 40 or 100.
To get you started, by default Pocket Casts displays the following episode filters:
- New Releases: All unplayed, and unfinished episodes, released in the last 2 weeks
- In Progress: All unfinished episodes
Get creative with your own filters by grouping podcast according to your weekly activities like driving, workouts/exercise or night time listening.
You can have more granular control over each list by utilising the starred option. So if you have a selection of music episodes that are perfect for your nightly workout, your filter might look something like this;
- Podcasts – 4 podcasts chosen
- Episodes – Played, In Progress (you’ve already listened to them or started listening to them to know they motivate you)
- Release date – Any Time
- Download status – Downloaded (you keep these episodes on your phone so you don’t need to worry about data costs or network reliability)
- Media type – All
- Starred is on
Next time you’re ready to kick off your workout, your filter gives you quick access to all of your motivational episodes which you can either play individually or quickly add to your Up Next queue by swiping right on each episode, or tapping the vertical ellipsis (three dots) in the top right corner and tapping “Play all”.